BURLEY SCHOOL ATHLETIC FIELD RENOVATION
BURLEY RESTORATION PROJECT
Jackson P. Burley Middle School on Charlotteville’s Rose Hill Drive is named after an esteemed local African-American educator and community leader. The school opened in 1951, serving both the City of Charlottesville and neighboring Albemarle County as the sole African-American high school during segregation. For 16 years, Burley High School served as a center and focal point of African-American culture and community in the greater Charlottesville area.
With a generious gift in support of the Burley Restoration Project
CBS 19 News Burley Project Restoration
Building Goodness Foundation works on restoring bleachers at Burley’s baseball field
Chelsea King, CBS 19 News
WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 29th | OPEN HOUSE
DARDEN SCHOOL WORK DAY
Thank you to the volunteers from University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Thank you to the volunteers from Van Yahres Tree Company who took down some sickly trees, cleaned up some brush and spread some wood chips. From left to right: Thomas Taylor, Frank Withers, Justin Campbell and Bryan Rauscher. Also, a big thanks to Jake Van Yahres.
FIELD PLAYING SURFACE NEARLY COMPLETE
NEW PLAYING SURFACE UNDERWAY
NEW STADIUM SEATING
FINAL TOUCHES OF PAINTING
- Restore and modernize the existing Burley Middle School baseball field and facility.
- Honor the rich history of Burley High School and its student athletes.
- Provide to the Rose Hill neighborhood of Charlottesville an enhanced community resource
- Bring together the Albemarle County, Charlottesville City and UVA communities in a project addressing historic and enduring issues of racial injustice and equity
- The Burley Varsity Club and H3 Baseball are leading a broad coalition of local organizations and individuals who support the Burley Field renovation.
- However, given the substantial list of needed repairs and upgrades, the BVC and H3 Baseball are seeking additional funding to support the Burley Renovation Project.
FEATURES OF PROJECT
Albemarle County as the sole African-American high school during segregation.
We are honored by the generosity of these businesses and organizations that have supported our mission.
Restore and modernize the existing Burley Middle School baseball field and facility
Timeline of our progress throughout this project
Media coverage we have received as this project has developed.
Be apart of this incredible project of bringing this area together.